With locations in Rockville and Towson and serving the residents of Alexandria, Potomac, Columbia, Bethesda, and the surrounding communities, Dr. John Kiely is helping his patients understand hair transplantation using follicular unit extraction.
What Is Follicular Unit Extraction?
Follicular unit extraction (FUE) is a popular technique used for hair restoration in which follicles are extracted from the back of the head one at a time. Using a surgical punch or other device, a small circular incision is made in the skin to extract follicular units from the scalp. The donor follicles are then transplanted into the area where they begin to grow hair. During the procedure, patients are alert as it is virtually painless.
How Long Does It Take for Hair to Start Growing?
Typically, it takes about nine to 12 months for patients to experience full hair regrowth.
What Happens to the Areas Where Hair Follicles Are Extracted?
Although a very small hole is left behind, as the wound heals, it contracts and results in a small round scar that is invisible to the naked eye even if the patient’s hairstyle is very short.
What Are the Advantages of Follicular Unit Extractions?
Physicians look to follicular unit extractions for hair restoration in many clients suffering from hair loss as it offers many advantages such as the following:
- Less Invasive. With the FUE procedure, hair follicles, along with the surrounding tissue, are extracted with a punch that ranges in size from 0.7mm to 1.0mm. Because of this, no wound closures following the extractions are necessary, making the procedure much less invasive.
- No Linear Scarring. Because there are no wound closures, there is no linear scarring, making it possible to wear very short hairstyles, which makes the procedure especially advantageous for men.
- Much Less Healing and Recovery Time. Because FUE is not invasive and there are no linear wounds or closures used, there is much less healing and recovery time, not to mention less discomfort. In fact, patients can return to work and exercise regimens in a much timelier manner than with other invasive procedures.
- Potential for Increased Donor Supply. FUE allows for greater potential for increased donor supply where doctors have the ability to extract from multiple areas including chests, arms, and other areas where there are viable hair follicles (body hair transplantation).
- Can Select Specific Grafts for Extraction. FUE allows physicians to select the best hair follicles for transplanting. They can identify and select finer single hair follicles that are ideal for the hairline and nape of the neck or thicker follicles for other areas of the scalp.
- Ideal for Small Cases. Utilizing the FUE technique is ideal for small or specialized cases. Doctors typically choose this technique when working with younger hair or smaller areas such as the eyebrows.
Is FUE a Good Option for Me?
There are several hair transplantation techniques available so that those suffering from different levels of baldness can enjoy the benefits of hair restoration. FUE is the best option if you want no linear scarring from an incision, like to wear your hair very short, or want a much shorter recovery time, not to mention if you have a narrow area of donor supply or little scalp elasticity. Dr. Kiely will go over the options during your consultation to help determine the best course of action for your hair restoration goals.
What Is the Cost of Follicular Unit Extraction in Washington?
The cost of FUE varies for each person. The cost depends on the extent of the procedure to achieve your individual appearance goal. Dr. Kiely accepts cash, credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express), and checks as payment options.
Additional Hair Restoration Topics
- Hair Transplantation
- Mini-Micro Grafting
- Micro Grafting
- Laser Hair Therapy
- Prescription Drug Therapy
With more than 30 years of experience and over 14,000 procedures performed treating hair loss for men and women in Washington, DC, Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, Dr. Kiely recognizes that each patient has unique requirements and desires. His services have improved the lives of people from in and around Baltimore. Dr. Kiely specializes in hair loss solutions for men and women by performing hair transplantation procedures such as Follicular Unit Extraction, Mini-Micro Grafting and Micro Grafting. If you are looking for self-improvement in the form of hair restoration, Dr. Kiely and his professional team will accommodate your needs! Please call 301-468-2335 today to schedule your free initial consultation!